1) Flour : 2 cups
2) Butter : 1 cup (softened not melted)
3) Granulated Sugar: 1 1/2 cups (depending upon sweetness)
4) Egg Yolk: 1
5) Milk: as per requirement
6) Vanilla Essence: few drops
7) Food colour: few drops
8) Icing sugar & Cookie decorations if you desire to decorate.
1) In a bowl take the sugar, butter, egg yolk and vanilla essence and mix them together with a blender. Use a spoon if you want.
2) To it add the flour and knead it adding very small amounts of milk each time to get a dough softer than we usually make for rotis/parathas.
3) Refrigerate the dough for an hour or two.
5 Take two of the balls and make a dent in the middle with your finger. Add few drops of food colour and mash the dough thoroughly till the colour has mixed well.
6) Roll out into thin sheets (say less than half a cm thick). Follow the pictorial directions to make the butterflies (I found the idea on web).
7) Roll out the left over dough and use a cookie cutter to cut out flowers of your desired shapes.
8) Preheat the oven to 160 deg C and bake the cookies for 15mins or till they turn pale golden.
9) Remove from the oven. Cool on wire mesh and decorate as desired.